Friday 1 March 2019

A Little bit of Family History


 

A Little bit of Family History.





A photo showing a fairly typical working man’s clothing in the Forest of Dean in 1937.


This is the only photo I have of my grandfather, Charles Marshall, who I never met as he died before I was born. It was found in a skip last year and someone rescued it and posted it on a Forest of Dean local history group on Facebook. The notes on the back say “ Photo of Dr Marshall, Woodcutter taken at Homme Rough Cottage Hope Mansel, Date 1937”.

I have very little information about him. He was known as “Doc” Marshall because he rescued and treated small birds and animals. His pipe smoking dog was quite famous locally. I understand hat the dog preferred Bondmans to A1 Shag tobacco. By all accounts, he was an excellent shot and a true old-style countryman. My aunt has told me he was a marksmanship champion in the Herefordshire Regiment in the Great War. I am trying to check if this was true.

In the late 1930s, he was working as a woodcutter on the nearby Bishopswood Estate in the Forest of Dean. He also did some work as a steeplejack on the side. Bishopswood is about five miles south of Ross-onWye. I have learnt, from Clive’s excellent Bishop’s Broadcasting Service blog that my granddad’’s employer, Robert Holme Storey, was the Sherrif of Herefordshire in 1938.

I wonder which faction he would have fought for in a Very British Civil War. He had links via his work to the Anglican church in Ross but there is a strong tradition of Non -Conformism in the Forest of Dean so he may have supported the Anglican League in Ross or possibly not. Perhaps he was a Royalist like many who had served in the forces. I will never know for sure but which ever side he may have joined could certainly use his shooting skills.




No comments:

Post a Comment